Holiday Cheddar Spread
I store in several covered containers in the fridge so that I can serve more than once during the holidays.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This cheddar spread was a hit! All the taste testers said it's the beer that makes this dip so good. This would be great to serve as an appetizer during the holidays, but would also be great at a tailgate or game night party. Yummy!
Edith hails from Canada, so the recipe calls for old cheddar. In the U.S., try using a sharp cheddar. That's what we did and it came out great! The Test Kitchen
2 cold cheddar cheese, grated
8 ozcream cheese, room temperature
4 ozbutter, room temperature
1/4 cbeer, non-alcohol beer, white wine or buttermilk
1 pinchblack pepper
1 smallonion, minced finely
·sprig parsley or sprinkle paprika to decorate
How to Make Holiday Cheddar Spread
- In a large bowl or in food processor, combine softened cream cheese and butter until thoroughly blended.
- Add pinch pepper and just enough liquid (beer, non-alcohol beer or white wine) to make the cream cheese mixture fluffy.
- Add grated old Cheddar cheese and combine thoroughly. You may need to add just a bit more liquid so that it retains nice texture, but not to worry if it's a bit thick and heavy. It still tastes great!
- Add onion, but combine only until blended in. If using food processor, pulse on/off a couple of times, but do not overwork or onion taste can become overwhelming.
- Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with a parsley sprig or some paprika so that it looks pretty. Remove from fridge about 20 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers.