Cheddar Batter Bread
I found this recipe in "The Best of Country Breads" (published 2000).
I've adapted the seasonings to my liking. You could change the seasonings and amounts to your liking. My father and soon-to-be husband absolutely love this bread; a loaf lasts less than a day when they are around!
2 Tbspwhite sugar
1 pkgactive dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 tspgarlic powder (or onion powder)
1/8 tspcayenne pepper powder
1/8 tspchili powder
1/8 tspwhite pepper (or black pepper)
2 Tbspbutter or margarine, softened
1 ccheddar cheese (measurement is approx., i just add cheese until i think it's enough)
How to Make Cheddar Batter Bread
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 c. flour, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, salt, and peppers.
- In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120-130 degrees (Use a candy thermometer to check temp)
- Add to dry ingredients, stir until just moistened.
- Add egg. Beat on low speed about 30 seconds; beat on high for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cornmeal and remaining 1/2 c. flour. Stir in cheese. (Batter will be thick)
DO NOT KNEAD!
- Cover and let raise in warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Grease a 8"x4"x2" loaf pan and sprinkle pan with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pan.
- Cover and let raise again until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.