Golden Fried Cornbread
2large eggs,lightly beaten
1 cbuttermilk(,orginal recipe used regular milk )
1/4 cmelted shortening( could use strained bacon drippings)
1 1/2 cself-rising yellow cornmeal mix ( i used martha white.)
1 call-purpose flour
How to Make Golden Fried Cornbread
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients,except 1/2 cup shortening.
- In a large cast-iron skillet( can use a regular skillet) melt shortening until hot but not smoking.
- When oil is hot, add batter 1/3 cup at a time,( if batter seems too thick add about 1/4 cup of water to the batter) spread batter until about 1/4 inch
- Fry until batter starts to bubble and edges look slightly dry,lift edge a bit to see if golden ( about 4 minutes ).If it is,turn and brown other
- After removing from skillet,butter and keep warm.
- Repeat from Step 3 with remaining batter.