Peanut Butter Toffee Bars
- 1/2 c
- butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c
- creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 c
- packed brown sugar
- 1 large
- egg yolk
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- quick cooking oats (not instant)
- 1/4 tsp
- 3 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c
- toffee bits (not the toffee/chocolate bits)
How to Make Peanut Butter Toffee Bars
- 1Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with foil so that the ends extend over the edges of the pan by at least 2 inches.
- 2In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, sugar, and egg yolk on medium-high speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add the flour, oats, and salt and beat the mixture on low until the ingredients are just blended, about 30 seconds.
- 3Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake the crust until it is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes (be careful not to overbake).
- 4Remove the pan from the oven and scatter the chocolate chips evenly over the crust. Return the pan to the oven for 1 minute. Remove the pan again and, using a small spatula, spread the chocolate evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle the toffee pieces over the chocolate, gently pressing them into place.
- 5Set the pan on a wire rack to cool until the chocolate has set, about 2 hours. Using the edges of the foil, lift the dessert from the pan, then cut it into rectangles.
Tips:For maximum freshness, store the bars in the refrigerator.