Golden Harvest Beef1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2.5 lbbeef brisket
2 Tbspcooking fat
2 smallwhole onions, studded with a few cloves
1 cbrown sugar, packed
1 qtboiling water
1 can(s)yams, drained, 29 ounces
6carrots, pared and slivered
2 mediumtart apples, sliced
3 largepotatoes, pared, halved
1/2 Tbspdry mustard
1 can(s)mandarin oranges, 11 ounces
How to Make Golden Harvest Beef
- Trim excess fat from beef brisket and brown on both sides in fat in dutch oven.
- Pour off drippings.
- Add onions, 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in boiling water.
- Cover and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 2 hours.
- Add yams, carrots, apples, white potatoes and 1/4 cup brown sugar; continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes.
- Remove cloves from onions.
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, ketchup, cornstarch and mustard in small saucepan.
- Drain mandarin oranges reserving liquid.
- Stir liquid into sugar mixture and cook over medium heat until sauce boils.
- Add mandarin oranges.
- Spoon about half of the sauce over meat.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until meat is very tender, basting with sauce occasionally.
- Carve meat diagonally across the grain and place on platter with vegetables.
- Spoon remaining hot sauce over meat and vegetables.
- Garnish with parsley flakes or fresh parsley.
- NOTE: Brisket also can be simmered on top of range until tender or can be cooked in a pressure cookier according to manufacturer's directions.