Chinese Tea Eggs
How to Make Chinese Tea Eggs
- In a pot, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve the water.
- Place the eggs in cold water until they can be easily handled. With the back of a spoon, lightly tap each shell all over until it is covered with a cobweb of cracks.
- In the same pot, bring the reserved water (which should be 3 to 4 cups) to a boil. Add the tea leaves,5-spice, salt and eggs. Simmer covered for an hour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and continue to let the eggs soak covered for 30 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water, remove egg shells, and enjoy whole, or you can halve them lengthwise or quarter them.
- You can use up to 10 eggs with this recipe, just boil more eggs.