Delicious Leek and Potato Soup
2 bunchLeeks, about 6 total, See note.
8 or soYukon Gold Potatoes, peeled, cut into bite size
·Kosher Salt - heavy pinch
64 ozChicken Broth - 2 cartons
1 cHeavy Cream
1/2 cWhite Wine
8 sliceBacon, cooked well and chopped
·Chives, fresh or dried
3Bay Leaves, small
·Black or white pepper, thyme, onion powder, cilantro or corriander
How to Make Delicious Leek and Potato Soup
- In a big soup pot, fry the bacon crisp and set aside.
- Pour out most of the bacon grease and leave a couple of tablespoons in the pot.
- Add butter to the pot and melt.
- Add cleaned, chopped leeks to the pot with a heavy pinch of kosher salt and saute on medium high for 5 minutes.
- Turn down heat to medium, add wine and deglaze the pan (scrape the bottom while stirring)Cover and let leeks sweat for about 25 minutes, stir occassionally.
- Add peeled, cut up potatoes, stir and add broth.
- Add pepper, bay leaves, onion powder, thyme and cilantro or corriander to taste. Stir, cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Stirring occassionally.
- Remove bay leaves. potatoes should be soft.
- Put immersion blender into pot and puree. Leave some of the potatoes chunky of you prefer.
- Add cream,bacon,chives and more seasoning if needed. Stir and serve with crusty bread and butter
- *** Note about Leeks***
Leeks are very sandy.
You must trim the leeks until about 1/4 of the green part remains. Cut off the bottom ends. Cut the leeks in half the long way. Clean the sink, or use a large bowl. Unravel the leeks and put them into the sink or bowl. Cover the leeks with cold water and let them float. Swish them around, so all the sand will fall off of them into the bottom of the sink or bowl. Inspect them to make sure all the sand is removed. Take them out of the water, shake them off and chop.