How to Make Caramel Pie
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Beat egg yolks.
- Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Stir into sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Put another 3/4 cup sugar into a heavy skillet.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly until sugar melts and cooks to a golden brown.
- Add butter and milk. Stir until butter melts.
- Still cooking over medium heat, slowly pour in sugar mixture and cook until thickened.
- Pour into a baked pie shell.
- To make meringue, whip the egg whites with sugar.
- Top the pie with the meringue. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Watch carefully so a not to burn.