Cheesy Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Garnish the soup with homemade croutons, cilantro or parsley, and bacon or parmesan to "gild the lily."
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 large
- shallot (or 1 medium onion), thinly sliced
- 1 medium
- head of cauliflower, leaves & core removed, broken into flowerets
- 4 c
- chicken broth
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 4-6 oz
- melting cheese, e.g. laughing cow wedges, grated white cheddar, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- chopped parsley or cilantro (optional)
- strips bacon, diced or 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- croutons (homemade, optional)
Preheat the oven to 350F. While the broth and cauliflower cook, cut two or more slices of Italian bread into cubes. Put about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl. Toss the bread cubes in the olive oil, moving quickly to distribute the oil among the cubes. Optionally, add a seasoning or dried herb mix and toss the cubes again. Distribute the cubes in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven, turn over the croutons for even cooking, and return to the still warm oven to continue toasting. The croutons will be warm and ready when the soup is ready.