Brussels Sprouts Soup
Another advantage? This soups adds a green-and-leafy veggie serving to your daily count and is high in vitamin C.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1 large
- sweet onion, peeled and julienned
- 5 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp
- brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- dried fines herbes or other herb mixture, preferably with tarragon as one of the ingredients
- 1 lb
- brussels sprouts, stem trimmed, yellow or spotted leaves removed, washed and quartered
- 4 c
- low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper
- 1 c
- greek-style yogurt (optional)
1In a heavy, covered, sauce pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and stir to coat. Sweat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent.
2Uncover, stir in the brown sugar and continue to cook for 10 minutes to coat and lightly carmelize the onions and garlic.
3Add the quartered brussels sprouts and the fines herbes and stir. Add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4Take off the heat. Process with an immersion blender or cool and process in a standard blender until smooth. Add the white pepper and bring back to a simmer briefly. Turn off. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
5Serve warm, optionally with a dollop of yogurt on top.