Schav (Sorrel and Garlic Soup)
Sorrel has long green leaves and has a slight tart taste.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 4 c
- vegetable stock
- 4 c
- filtered water
- 1 large
- sweet onion, (coarse chop)
- whole bulb of garlic (remove cloves and crush with a knife, remove peel)
- 1 medium
- yukon gold potato, diced large
- 1/4 tsp
- tumeric or pinch of saffron threads
- large bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp
- course salt
- 2 oz
- sorrel leaves (ribs removed and torn into 1/2" pieces)
- 4 1/2 tsp
- lemon or lime juice
- sour cream (i use vegan, but dairy is good in this too)
1Combine 4 cups soup broth with the 4 cups of water in a big soup pot. Add in the chopped onion, garlic, cubed potato, turmeric or saffron, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and salt.
2Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
3With a stick blender puree everything in the pot. Bring back to a boil and add the sorrel leaves. Cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the citrus juice and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until completely chilled.
4Serve with a dollop of sour cream, and a piece of crusty bread.