Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 to 6
- green onions (scallions), trimmed and roughly chopped
- ribs of celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 to 8 c
- mixed leafy herbs, e.g. parsley, cilantro, basil, mint, field oregano, thyme, tarragon, etc.
- 2 can(s)
- fat free evaporated milk
- 2 c
- chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium
- 1/2 small
- lemon, juice only
- 1/2 tsp
- salt, if using unsalted homemade chicken broth
1In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat.
2Add chopped green onions and celery and sweat for about 5 minutes.
3Trim any hard ends, woody stems, and brown leaves from the herbs and wash. The mix of herbs you use will affect the taste of the final soup. If you don't want a strong herb like tarragon or mint to predominate, use them sparingly.
4Add the herbs to the celery and onions and wilt thoroughly.
5Add the milk and chicken broth and bring to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Process with an immersion blender and allow to sit, covered for 5 minutes. This will thoroughly cook the herbs.
6Serve warm. May be frozen for later use.