Cajun Kale Soup (from "O" Magazine)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 6 cups chopped lightly packed kale green (stems & ribs removed)
- 2 tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounces andouille sausage (2- three links) thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 1 (15 oz) can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 4 cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. agave nectar or honey (optional)
- 4 cups slightly under cook brown rice
11. Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in large Dutch oven or heavy stock pot.
Add kale and boil 5 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
2. In large pot warm oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and cool until onion is translucent, 4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add garlic, peppers and sausage, and cook until peppers soften five minutes. Mix in thyme and allspice, stir and cook 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes, broth, cooked kale and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered until greens are almost tender. Add agave or honey if desired. (if freezing stop here and add rice after defrosting)
4. If serving immediately add rice and continue to simmer soup, uncovered, until kale is tender and rice is fully cooked 10 to 15 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Freeze up to 8 weeks (without rice added to soup)
FYI: I fully cooked rice and just put soup over top of desired amount of rice I wanted to eat
2Vegetarian style just omit Andouille Sausage
Also can be eaten without the rice.