Mertzie's Healthy lemon chicken soup, Greek style
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- cups chicken broth or stock
- onion, whole
- tsp fresh ginger (or more)
- 2 Tbsp
- dried greek spices (such as mccormick's)
- pinch, saffron
- pinch, cayenne or red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- large cooked chicken breast or dark meat (see below)
- half jar sundried tomatoes (drained & chopped)
- 2 Tbsp
- or more roasted red pepper bruschetta (i buy a jar of it & keep on hand in my fridge for adding to tons of dishes)
- cups fresh spinach, rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- parsley, rough chopped
- half of a lemon (for juice)
- water to taste
1Cook the chicken broth with the onion, ginger, Greek spices, saffron, and red & black pepper for about 10 mins over med-med high. Get this to the broth taste you want, adding more spices or water or chicken bouillon cubes so it suits your tastebuds.
2Tear up the chicken breasts (I used a large chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken & then some pieces of the dark meat). Saved the rest of the chicken for sandwiches next day.
3Add the chicken, sundried tomatoes, and red pepper bruschetta to the soup. Stir well & simmer for about 5-10 mins. Taste the soup again to ensure you're liking the flavor -- I added more bruschetta, as I love that.
4Toss in the spinach and stir. Then add the parsley & stir. Squirt the lemon juice over top & turn off heat. Stir & it's ready to serve. I also added a little Hungarian paprika, because I use paprika in almost everything, and wanted the soup to have extra spices.
5Note: You can add orzo to this. Or sprinkle w/ crumbled feta cheese on top of each bowl of soup. I didn't, as I wanted to keep it as light as possible. Enjoy!