Mertzie's Crazy Curry Chicken Comfort Chowder
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- onion, halved
- stalks, celery
- lemon, quartered
- cups (about) chicken stock or broth
- chicken bouillon cube and water
- bay leaf, black cardamom pod, a few peppercorns, one pinch of saffron
- 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your taste)
- 2 tsp
- cumin and smoked spanish paprika (each)
- heaping tablespoon of curry (plan to add more -- i used a lot)
- tsp. of garam masala
- yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut in cubes
- yellow pepper, chopped
- can corn, drained
- can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- bag fresh spinach leaves, torn up in large pieces
1I marinated the chicken thighs in milk for about 8 hours. Cooked in slow cooker with an onion, carrots, celery, and lemons. Salt & pepper to your liking. Cooked on high for about 4 hours. I then removed the thighs & refrigerated them separately from the broth overnight.
2Remove broth from fridge and skim off fat. I heated the broth from the thighs, 6 cups of chicken stock and mixed in bay leaf, cumin, black cardamom pod, garam masala, curry, a few whole peppercorns, cayenne pepper, saffron & smoked Spanish paprika.
3Let this cook for about 40 minutes or so. Taste the broth and see if it is to your liking. Add some salt, water, or a chicken bouillon cube (or two) to get it to the taste and intensity you want.
4After you are happy with your broth, add the potatoes and yellow onions. When the potatoes are getting tender, add the corn, tomatoes, chickpeas. Stir, then add the chicken. Turn off heat and then add the torn spinach and stir. Serve immediately.
5This is a soup that was best eaten the same day/night. Enjoy!