Chicken Tortilla Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 1/2 lb
- boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs or combo (i prefer combo)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 clove
- garlic crushed or minced
- 1 medium
- onion diced
- 1/2 medium
- bell pepper diced
- 1/2 stalk(s)
- celery rib chopped
- whole serrano chile (optional)(dice for more spicy soup)
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 box
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp
- oil (i prefer canola)
- 1 can(s)
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes with juice (for spicy flavor can substitute 1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilies)
- 1/4 bunch
- fresh cilantro leaves chopped and added to soup 10 minutes prior to serving
- handful tortilla chips, hand crushed or 1 plain corn tortilla
- 1 Tbsp
- grated cheese (any kind is fine - monterrey jack is my choice)
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- avocado diced into chunks
OPTIONAL ADD-INS TO EACH BOWL OF SOUP
1Turn on crock pot to high to warm. I spray non stick cooking spray to sides and bottom or use a crock pot liner for easy cleanup. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, cumin, tomatoes, and broth. Add serrano(optional)
2Add oil to pan and sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken. Brown chicken on both sides. Once brown (about 5-8 minutes each side)with no pink outside, transfer to crock pot on top of other ingredients. Stir and water to 1 inch from the top of the crock pot and cover.
3Cook in crock pot on high for 4 hours or cook on low for 6-8 hours.
4Just before serving, remove chicken from soup and cut into smaller bite size pieces and return to soup. Add cilantro and cover for 10 minutes.
5This is a healthy chicken soup when served as is. Sprinkle a few tortilla chips or if you prefer to go lean, cut up a corn tortilla into small bite size pieces and add to your hot soup.
6Additional optional add-in ingredients include grated cheese, diced avocado, sour cream. Of course these all add to the caloric count of this soup. Hope you enjoy!