LEEK AND BARLEY RISOTTO
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- leeks, white part only, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- cracked black peppercorns
- 2 c
- pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 can(s)
- (28 oz.) tomatoes, including juice, coarsely chopped
- 3 c
- vegetable or chicken stock or water
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
1Clean the leeks. Fill sink full of lukewarm water. Split leeks in half lengthwise and submerge in water, swishing them around to remove all traces of dirt. Transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water.
2In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until softened. Add salt, peppercorns and barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Stir in Parmesan, if using, and serve piping hot.