Ritz Squash Casserole
This version of squash casserole does not need to be baked and is a bit lighter in calories. It has been a favorite since that night. The texture and flavor survive with this preparation,so easy,stove to table to plate. My husband prefers this recipe to others. His comments are that it is less salty, and the cracker crumbs absorb the goodness of the liquid produced from the cooking of the squash,onions,margarine,and half and half.
- 8-10 medium sized yellow crookneck squash
- 1 small box
- plain ritz crackers
- vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/4 to 1 cup of half and half
- 1 1/2 sticks of parkay margarine, butter may be used instead of margarine
- 1/2 cup
- roasted salted almonds, rough chop
- salt and pepper to taste
- one bunch of fresh parsley
and stir over medium to high heat. Chop almonds and sprinkle over top of squash. Do not cover, it will make the dish soggy, put in a warm, 250* oven if it must wait for serving.