Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
Check out my homemade sofrito recipe for the base of this dish.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil or bacon fat
- 4 oz
- cubed ham or cooked pork
- cubes of sofrito (recaito)
- 2 c
- long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 can(s)
- gandules (pigeon peas) or kidney or black beans, undrained
- 4 c
- water or chicken broth or combo (add extra 1/4 cup for brown rice)
- 1 pkg
- sazon con culantro y achitoe
- 1/2 can(s)
- tomato sauce (the small can- optional)
- green olives or 2 tbs capers (optional)
1In a large saucepan, or preferably a cast aluminum caldero, Heat oil or bacon fat on med-hi. Add ham or pork and saute until almost browned.
2Add sofrito cubes and saute, thawing and breaking up the cubes until it is darker and translucent. About 3 minutes.
3Add rice and stir continuously, lightly browning the rice, taking care not to burn. About 1 minute.
4Add beans with juice, water/broth, and Sazon. Bring to a boil. Allow water to boil almost away (no need to stir, just let it do its thing), to about the same level of the rice or just below.
5Add tomato sauce and olives/capers, if using. Give one final stir to incorporate, and cover.
Lower heat to med-low and let simmer 30 minutes. 37 if using brown rice.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. stir, then enjoy!