Sue's StoryThis is a salad that came together as a request from my husband. He loves tuna. Viola! I have had nothing but raves for this salad most saying it is a refreshing one. Make sure to chill the chickpeas and tuna well..they will be the last thing you'll add to this colourful, crisp salad.
When you are mixing the dressing and all the individual ingredients the goal is to move quickly until the finish line. If not, the chopped vegetables will become soggy in the dressing while you are preparing the rest of the salad.
lettuce head, chopped ( not large pieces)
romaine lettuce head ( not large pieces
chickpeas, any size, chilled well
tuna, any kind, well chilled, drained
green pepper, chopped ( large pieces)
red pepper, chopped ( large pieces
crisp radishes, sliced
red onion, sliced finely
celery stalks (chopped large)
garlic clove (minced)
cherry tomatoes (sliced in half)
fine olive oil (frantoia is the best flavor)
freshly squeezed lemon juice
feta cheese ( crumbled)
hard boiled eggs, shelled, sliced in quarters
salt and pepper to taste
1Choose a large, nice looking, not deep bowl for presentation. Remember..the last things to go in your bowl will be the lettuces, tuna, feta, and more tomato for garnish.
1. In a large bowl, measure out the olive oil, lemon juice.
2. Add the garlic, salt & pepper. Whisk well and chill while you cut the rest of your ingredients.
23. Chop, onion, celery, peppers, radishes, carrots. Add to the chilling dressing.
4. Rinse chickpeas and add to the dressing and continue to chill.
5. Meanwhile, boil the eggs, chop the tomatoes and crumble the feta and chop the lettuces.
36. When you are ready to serve, remove the dressing and chopped vegetables from the refrigerator.
7. Add the lettuce to the bowl and mix all the veggies with the lettuce until coated.
8. Now you're ready for the tuna, add and mix lightly.
9. Garnish with feta, quartered additional tomatoes and quartered hard boiled eggs.
10. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to your liking.
Typically I also served fresh ciabatta buns, along with new , white potatoes, sour cream and chives and viola! Dinner is served.