Schuster's German Potato Salad
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- white sugar
- 1 c
- cider vinegar
- 2 c
- low sodium chicken broth (you can substitute water)
- 2 Tbsp
- cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp of the broth or water
- 2 bunch
- green onions, slice both white and green
- 1 lb
- center cut bacon, diced
- 5 lb
- red salad or yukon gold potatoes; boiled & cooled until able to touch; peeled & medium sliced (not too thin!)
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, rough chopped
1Saute bacon over medium heat until crisp. Do not allow to get too brown, but be sure to cook through; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
2Saute whites of the onion in the bacon drippings until almost clear & limp; add green and saute a few more minutes, checking to be sure they don't become brown; remove from pan and add to paper towel to drain.
3Heat sugar, vinegar and water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in dissolved cornstarch. Return to medium low heat. Add bacon & onion. Gently stir to combine.
4Place still warm, sliced potatoes in buttered oven proof casserole dish (recommendation: 4 qt casserole); Add hot sauce to the mix and gently stir to combine well. Garnish with chopped parsley. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
5You can make the day before and refrigerate without baking. Be sure to remove casserole from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before placing in the oven.