Portuguese JAG. (rice)
maria maxey @crazychelf
My MOM always made this dish and brought it for family gatherings.ITS great covered dish for any special accession .WE all learned from our mother and grandmother,now i'm sharing with my children and now their children.5 ganerations. RAPOSO FAMILY
- 4 or 5 c
- 2 1/2 c
- white long rice
- bay leaves
- 1 1/2 lb
- linguica(portuguese sausage or turkey sausage)
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste (with salt added preferred)
- 10 oz
- lima beans(freezer section )or can add red kidney beans 2 cans is fine.)
- 1 large
- onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic (minced)or 3 fresh garlic cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper (or good pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1-2 Tbsp
- portuguese olive oil (or italian olive oil works okay too'
- you can italian sausage instad of turkey sausage mild or hot.)
1HEAT olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan.
FRY your linguica,seasoning with salt and pepper.
2ADD Onions,and garlic, sauteeing until onions are tender and translucent;be careful not to burn the garlic.
3ADD WATER, tomato paste,and bay leaves,stirring until the tomato paste is dissolved.
ADD your beans,and rice,stirring to combine;bring to a boil on high temperature.
4WHEN boiling ,turn to medium low heat and cover,cooking 20-30 minutes.
5CHECK occasionally,stir to avoid sticking,lowering the heat a smidge further if needed;rice should be fairly dry when cooked completely .
6REMOVE the bay leaves, before serving.
7LITTLE NOTE IF you'd to lower the fat a little.TRY GASPAR'S turkey linguaca ,its sold in the same SECTION AS THE CHOURICO OR ITAILIN SAUSAGES.
YOU CAN ALSO try to use brown rice.and peas just use your ideas.Let me know what was the different way it was made. ENJOY it AND GOD BLESS..