Garlic Nailed Steak in a Bun - Portugal
Prego No Pão (Garlic Nailed Steak) is also known as Bife no Prego.
Which came first, the Prego rolls of South Africa or the Portuguese Prego no Pão on the mainland.
In South Africa, you will find these are very popular for Saturday lunches and served up with an ice-cold beer.
- 3⁄4 lb sirloin steak, cut 1/2 inch thick slices, trimmed of any visible fat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste