16 Bean Soup with Smoked Porkette Shoulder Butt
She would use dried navy beans, and lima beans, but I use the 16 bean pkg. because we love beans so much!
She always used this smoked butt, and it was so delicious. A very flavorful soup.
photos: my own
- 20 oz. package of dried beans
- 1 lb
- ham, ham hocks, smoked sausage, or pork butt (which i use)
- 1 c
- onion, chopped
- 1 can(s)
- (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp
- chili powder
- juice from 1 lemon, or 1 tblsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- water to cover beans and meat.
- you may use 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth to cover beans
- you may also add 1 or 2 potatoes, cubed, to soup, along with sliced carrots