16 Bean Soup with Smoked Porkette Shoulder Butt
She would use dried navy beans, and lima beans, but I use the 16 bean pkg. because we love beans so much!
She always used this smoked butt, and it was so delicious. A very flavorful soup.
photos: my own
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 20 oz. package of dried beans
- 1 lb
- ham, ham hocks, smoked sausage, or pork butt (which i use)
- 1 c
- onion, chopped
- 1 can(s)
- (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp
- chili powder
- juice from 1 lemon, or 1 tblsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- water to cover beans and meat.
- you may use 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken broth to cover beans
- you may also add 1 or 2 potatoes, cubed, to soup, along with sliced carrots
After soaking, drain water, add fresh water to cover beans and piece of pork butt (I add butt whole, and shred the meat just before serving soup).