Trincado African Beef Stew - Portugal
I have had many requests for this Portuguese inspired African beef stew which is similar to the Azorean braised beef.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef, rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot pepper paste (may sub chopped, stemmed chili peppers, or hot sauce)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups red wine (or 1 cup wine and 1 cup water or beef stock)
- 24 black olives
- 1⁄4 cup flour (mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 1 teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Add the seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the olives will add salt as well.