Manhattan- Sabrett-style Hot Dog
New Yorker's love hotdogs, offering different styles: Coney Island, Manhattan Sabrett, New Jersey - Italian Dogs or the famous New York Deli Dog, all are wonderful.
Sabretts are a garlicky all-beef frank in natural casing, served with mustard and warm sauerkraut, and a rich orange colored sweet-tart onion sauce. This sauce when combined with the mustard and kraut creates the perfect balance for the dog.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (see note below: may sub with ketchup or kansas city bbq sauce)
- 1 tablespoon inexpensive balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions, well peeled and sliced thin
- 1/4 teapoon table salt
- 2 cloves of pressed or minced garlic
- 4 all-beef frankfurters, preferably sabretts
- 4 buns
- sauerkraut from the refrigerator section, not the can
- spicy brown dijon-style mustard
THE HOT DOG
Whisk in the tomato paste, balsamic, mustard, brown sugar, hot sauce, and cinnamon.
Add the onions and sprinkle with the salt. This helps pull the moisture out. Move them around occasionally with a wooden spoon so they don't burn.
Cook until the edges start to brown. Whatever you do, do not let them burn.
Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Turn the stove to low and simmer with the lid on for 1 hour. Check frequently to make sure it is not burning and the water has not evaporated.
Add water if needed. The final result should be thick, not runny, but not pasty.
After an hour, taste and adjust salt and other flavors as you wish.
Once the buns are ready start piling your dog with sauerkraut, brown mustard and the onion sauce.
1. Red onions often have an extra layer of tough paper under the outer layer. Make sure you remove it.
2. If you want, you can substitute a 2 tablespoons of ketchup or a sweet tomato based Kansas City style barbecue sauce for the tomato paste.