Traditional Hard Matzo Ball Soup
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- whole chicken, or sometimes i use thighs
- stalks celery, broken in the middle
- onion, don't bother to chop
- large carrots, cut in half
- clove garlic, leave it whole and drop it in
- 6 c
- water, or enough to cover the chicken well
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz
- thin egg noodles
- pieces lightly salted matzo, crushed
- 1 Tbsp
- oil, or chicken fat if you want to be authentic
- matzo meal
FOR THE SOUP
FOR THE MATZO BALLS
1Place everything for the soup except the noodles into a large stock pot.
2Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until meat is very tender.
3To make the matzo balls - place the crushed matzo in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak 30 minutes.
5Once chicken is done, remove it and de-bone.
6Discard the celery, onion and garlic. I usually slice the carrots into the finished soup.
8Start a pot of plain water to boil. Add salt.
11Drop the matzo balls into the simmering plain water. They will float when done, about 8-10 min. Drain and cover to keep warm.
12Cook the egg noodles in the broth. Add the chicken and carrots back to the broth.
13To serve, place one or two matzo balls in a bowl and spoon the soup over.