STICKY RICE AND CHICKEN (SALLYE)
Note: The Preparation TIme includes the time for marinating chicken and soaking rice.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- white extra long grain rice
- 3 c
- water (separated)
- 1 can(s)
- (12-14 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- 4 large
- boneless skinless chicken breasts***
- 3 Tbsp
- soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- orange juice
- 1/4 c
- grated orange zest
- 2 medium
- garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp
- coarse kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 bunch
- fresh cilantro or parsley
STICKY RICE INGREDIENTS
Finely grate ginger root
Grate the zest of one firm orange (will be approximately 1/4 cup)
Chop the cilantro or parsley leaves only (discard the stems)
1. Rinse and soak the rice beforehand as follows.
2. Pour the uncooked rice into a large bowl, and add several cups (no need to measure) of cold water.
3. Shake and stir the rice around with your hands; the water will turn white.
4. Drain the water from the rice, and repeat this step until the water stops turning completely white. Drain last water from bowl.
5. Finally, add clean water (approx 2 cups) to the bowl to cover the rice and let it soak for at least 6 hours (overnight is best).
7. If not, add the rice (do not drain the bowl) and 1 cup of water to a medium heavy pot. Bring the water to a boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to low simmer. Let the rice cook undisturbed for 20 minutes, then check for doneness.Cook longer if needed. When the rice is ready, set it aside to cool.
8. In a large pot, combine the coconut milk (make sure to shake the can well before opening) and sugar. Mix over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce is combined and creamy.
9. Add the cooled rice into the pot with the coconut milk mixture. Stir to combine, and continue to cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is the consistency of thick porridge. Remove from heat.
Place chicken, soy sauce, honey, orange juice and zest, garlic and ginger in a large Ziplock freezer bag.
2. Shake bag well to combine ingredients and place in refrigerator at least one hour, or up to overnight. Turn bag over a couple of times so all chicken will be coated.
1. Preheat the oven to 425ºF
1. Remove the chicken to a bowl and discard the marinade.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper
3. Place chicken in large cast iron skillet or baking sheet and place in oven.
Place chicken and rice on serving platter and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped cilantro or parsley. Serve while chicken is still warm.
Optional: Add mango and/or orange slices slices to platter for additional garnish.
Wash and dry one head of romaine lettuce. Arrange in separate platter.
Place one or two tablespoons of chicken and rice on lettuce leaf, garnish with chopped chives, toasted sesame seeds, chopped cilantro leaves, and slice of mango on chicken mixture.
Wrap lettuce leaf around mixture, dip in your choice of sauce and eat as an appetizer.