Trincado African Beef Stew - Portugal
I have had many requests for this Portuguese inspired African beef stew which is similar to the Azorean braised beef.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- tablespoons olive oil
- tablespoons butter
- lbs beef, rump roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- cups spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- tablespoon hot pepper paste (may sub chopped, stemmed chili peppers, or hot sauce)
- garlic cloves, smashed
- bay leaf
- cups red wine (or cup wine or water or beef stock)
- black olives
- cup flour (mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- teaspoon salt, coarse sea salt
- teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1Melt the butter into the oil using a heavy bottom dutch-oven pot, working in small batches, brown the cubes on beef on all sides and transfer to a plate.
2Toss the onions into the pan drippings and saute until lightly golden to bring out the flavor of the onions then mix in the hot pepper sauce or other hot chili ingredient you are using, to your taste along with the garlic and bay leaf.
3Cook 1 minute until it becomes aromatic, then return the meat to the pot, along with the olives.
4Pour in the wine or combination so that it just comes over the meat.
5Bring to a boil over medium -high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover and simmer for 1 hour.
6Add the seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping in mind that the olives will add salt as well.
7Mix the flour with cold water, making a slurry and stir into the pan, cover and simmer for 1/2 - 1 hour more, until very tender.
8This dish is usually served with fried potatoes and chunks of bread for dipping in the sauce.