Russian Stuffed peppers. Low fat dolma
The more traditional Russian version of sarma is actually “Golubtsy” (stuffed leaves of large white cabbage).
But stuffed sweet peppers (as well as large tomatoes) are now also used, sometimes mixed with stuffed cabbage leaves in one dish.
Please Note: The cooked dish needs to sit tightly covered with the lid on, for several hours. (not noted in prep. time)
Posted here from russianfood-ie.com/stuffed-peppers_d... for use in Culinary Quest.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 lb
- low fat minced beef
- 1/2 c
- dry rice (brown works fine), boiled al-dente or steamed
- 8 - 9 large
- sweet peppers of different colours
- 250 g
- handful of prunes
- 250 g
- soured cream or 0% fat greek yogurt
- 5 tsp
- tsp tomato puree or 400 g tinned tomatoes, blended
- 2 clove
- garlic pressed
- salt, pepper to taste
- dry herbs (parsley, basil, thyme) to taste
- strong meat, chicken or vegetable stock (optional)