5 HOUR ROUND TIP BEEF ROAST
Rose Mary Mogan
I was out of carrots or mushrooms or I would have added them. You can use what you like or what you have with this recipe, it cooks and all of the flavors marry as it is cooking.
The broth is thickened, rich & very flavorful, & all the vegetables absorbs the flavors of each other. Serve with mashed potatoes & another veggie & Sis Schubert's Parkerhouse Dinner Rolls if desired. AWESOME COMFORT FOOD.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 5 lb
- round tip beef roast
- 3 large
- onions halved and cut into quarters or eights
- 2 large
- green bell peppers cut into large chunks
- 5 stalk(s)
- celery cut into medium pieces
- 3-4 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme, (can use dried also)
- 2-3 sprig(s)
- fresh rosemary
- 2 pkg
- beef onion soup mix
- 2 c
- beef or chicken stock ( i was out of beef so i used chicken)
- 2 c
- red wine (the kind you would drink for dinner)
- 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 3-4 medium
- roma tomatoes halved
- fresh green onion tops chopped for garnish
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- each granulated garlic & sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp
- steak seasoning (such as montreal steak seasoning)
1Cooking a roast this size is best done in a cast iron Dutch oven, skillet or pot. LOW AND SLOW WORKS BEST ALSO. Cast iron tends to hold the heat at an even temperature as it cooks, and breaks down the muscle tissue in the roast. I am sure you could do this in a slow cooker as well, but I LOVE & prefer to use MY 15 INCH CAST IRON SKILLET AND LID.
5Cover with a tight fitting lid or foil, and place in preheated 300 degree F oven, and cook for 5 hours till meat is tender. DO NOT DISTURB WHILE COOKING.
6When the 5 hours has elapsed, remove from oven. Remove lid, allow roast to rest at least 10 minutes. Remove roast to a platter. Then slice as desired. I prefer using an electric knife. Add the veggies around roast from the skillet, and drizzle with some of the beef juices if desired. Serve with other sides and enjoy.