French Onion Soup without the guilt
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/4 c olive oil
- large white onions halved lengthwise and cut into quarter inch thick clices
- sprigs of fresh thyme
- bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- cups low sodium chicken broth
- half inch thick whole wheat baguette toasted and sliced inch thick
- ounces of gruyere, shaved paper thin slices with a cheese plane or veggie peeler
1Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown and nearly melting - approx 45 min. Stir in the wine and simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced by half. Stir in stock and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
3Place 4 soup crocks or ovenproof bowls (no larger than 4 inches-corning makes some nice ones) on a baking sheet - preferably one with a rim. Place a toasted baguette slice in each crock. Divide the soup among the bowls and top each with a single layer of cheese....more if you prefer.
4Place in oven and bake until cheese melts and is golden brown in spots, soup is bubbly - approx 10 min, depending on your oven cooking speed. Serve immediately with a salad.....YUMMY