Mizz V 2 You
We would all meet up in Grandma's kitchen, every Friday, at 10am. By noon, us girls would beg my Mom to make us her delicious fishcakes. And she would, thus our little tradition came to be known as Fishcake Fridays! The saddest part of this story is that this was also the very last thing that my Mom made for us the very afternoon that she passed away... on a Thursday. Since her passing, a lot of things have changed within my family, and we gather around Grandma's kitchen table whenever we can, but it's very few and far between, and not like it used to be. Over the last year and a half since her passing, I have been perfecting and if I may be so bold, improving upon, her fishcake recipe. Mainly, because I'm still hoping to keep our Friday tradition going...wish me luck!
Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you all will give this a try (not everyone appreciates mackerel), and I hope you will enjoy it as much as my family and I do!
- 1 can(s)
- jack mackerel
- 2 or 3
- capfuls of white vinegar (i usually eyeball it, use your best judgement).
- a few splashes of texas pete brand hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 c
- stone ground cornmeal (use more or less)
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour (use more or less)
- 1 small
- onion (chopped) use more or less depending upon your preference
- 2 or 3 Tbsp
- ro-tel brand (or similar) chunky style tomatoes & chilies
- 1 bottle
- vegetable oil (for frying, use about as much as you would to make crabcakes or something similar, use your best judgement)