Philippines - Chicken Binakol
This is a native dish from the Philippines where coconuts are abundant. The combination of coconut juice and ginger gives this dish it's flavorful and unique taste that you are sure to enjoy.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon crushed ginger
- 1 cup chinese cabbage (pechay), sliced
- 1 pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 pcs young coconut (juice & meat)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup of water
1Boil chicken slices in 1 cup of water until the water just dries up (this will lock-in the chicken's flavor).
2Add canola oil and saute with ginger, garlic, onions and tomatoes.
3Add Chinese cabbage, coconut juice and meat, simmer for about 15 minutes.
4Add fish sauce and/or salt to taste.