Pepsilluver's Chicken Green Chile Stew
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- knorr chicken bouillon or chicken broth/stock, amount depends on how much you want to make, and how much broth you want
- 3 - 4
- carrots, peeled and cut as you like them
- 2 - 3
- large potatoes, peeled and cut down as you like them
- 4 - 5
- chicken pieces, boneless skinless, (preferable, not necessary) cut down to small pieces
- 1 - 2
- stalks of celery diced small
- 1 small
- onion diced up, how you like it, i do it small
- 1 - 2
- green onion, cut real small some of the green to
- 1 can(s)
- petite dice tomatoes, can use more, its your preference
- large can or about 6 (roasted and peeled) green chiles, diced i do some small and some about an inch long, i also add a bunch more
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 clove
- garlic, diced real small
- 1 - 2
- jalapenos dices small, this is optional
- water, for your broth if you use bouillon, or just to add
- campbells cream of chicken soup, if desired
YOU CAN ADD MORE OR LESS OF ANYTHING, SORT OF A DO IT YOURSELFER!
1You need to start with a stock pot, a cutting board and a knife. As for the chicken, I like it frozen and then I thaw it just a bit in microwave and that makes it easier to cut the sizes I need and trim off any fat.
2Mix your bouillon with hot water and pour into your stock pot. Remember this is based on how much you want to make. Mine is an 8 quart stock pot, so I make a lot, I can not seem to make less even if I want to. lol Turn your burner to a medium to medium high heat. Now add your diced tomatoes. I start with chopping up carrots, celery and onion. Carrots take the longest to cook.
3Then I alternate with the chicken and potatoes, adding them to the pot as I go. I also finish off any further veggies that need to be cut and add them. If you would like to add the cream of chicken soup, this is also a good time. It adds a nice flavor.
4I buy a Large (27 oz) can of green chiles and cut them up and make sure there are NO skins on them. I cut the ends small like they are diced and the rest the length I cut 1/2" to an inch long. I use all of them plus generally some fresh as well, that were roasted and peeled. If you would like a little heat added to it, now you could add your jalapeno or pepper of your choice for the heat.
5Make sure all your seasonings are added. Make sure you go thru the list above and added it all. You could also add celery salt if you chose &/or a dash of chili powder. All seasonings are done to taste can even add Kitchen Bouquet. All ingredients are cut to how you would like them in your stew. I do not thicken my broth. However you can use a blender with some water, pepper and flour and or cornstarch, run the blender till smooth and add it to your boiling broth stirring constantly, till desired thickness. Can be served by itself, on rice or even on chowmein noodles. Can also eat with tortilla chips. A very good meal, and one easily customized to your tastes. It is done when your carrots and potatoes are fully cooked.