Kongnamulbap (Soybean sprouts Bibimbap)
Prepared on stove-top in about 1 hour and 15 minutes
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 16 oz
- soybean sprouts
- 1 c
- short grain rice
- 1/4 lb
- ground beef
- 1 tsp
- soy sauce,
- 3 medium
- green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 medium
- green chili pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp
- sesame oil
- 1 tsp
- 2 to 3 large
- eggs, (cooked sunny side up for topping bibimbap)
* TIP: IF YOU’RE A VEGETARIAN, REPLACE THE BEEF WITH SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS. SOAK 4 DRIED SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS IN WATER UNTIL THEY BECOME SOFT. CHOP THEM UP AND SEASON.
1Let’s start by making rice !
Add short grain rice to a heavy bottomed pot. Rinse in cold water and drain.
Scrub the wet rice by hand for about 10 seconds. Rinse and drain.
Scrub, rinse and drain 3 to 4 more times, until the water becomes clear.
Pour out as much water as you can. The rice should still be wet.
Add 1 cup of water to the rice. Close the lid. Let it soak for 30 minutes.
2Next, soybean sprouts !
Take soybean sprouts out of the package and put them in large bowl with water.
Rinse and drain a couple of times to clean thoroughly.
Pick out any brownish or rotten beans. Drain and set aside.
3Season ground beef (or chopped shiitake mushrooms)
Place ground beef in a large bowl.
Add soy sauce, black pepper and sesame oil. Mix well and set aside.
1. Combine all these ingredients in a second bowl and mix well. Soy sauce, minced garlic, green onion, pepper flakes, honey, chopped onion, green chili pepper, and toasted sesame seeds.
5Cook 2 eggs sunny-side up and set aside.
(If you serve 3 people, prepare 3 sunny-side up eggs).
6After the rice has soaked for 30 minutes, add the soybean sprouts and the seasoned ground beef over top.
4. Close the lid and bring to a boil over medium - high heat for 10 minutes. After boiling, turn it over with a rice scoop or wooden spoon and mix gently until all the ingredients are well combined.
7Lower the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes with the lid closed.
8Transfer it to a serving bowl and place the sunny side eggs on top. Garnish with radish sprouts (muwoo soon). If desired.
Serve with the sauce and sesame oil on the side. People can adjust the dish to their personal taste.
9Makes: 2 to 3 servings
Prep & cooking time: 50 minutes to 1 hour.