Almond Sponge Tea Cake
I have been asked by several members to post my almond cake recipe. So here it is! I hope you find it delicious, and enjoy it too!
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- fine blanched almond flour
- 3 Tbsp
- potato starch (can substitute corn starch in equal amount for potato starch)
- eggs, separated
- ¾ c
- granulated sugar, i use a finely granulated baking sugar, but regular works
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract, (a good quality adds to the flavor of cake)
- 1/3 c
- confectioner’s sugar, or icing sugar [ ? cp.]
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp
- grated orange peel
- 2 Tbsp
- sliced almonds, optional
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
INGREDIENTS FOR ORANGE GLAZE
Pour into the prepared pan.
Whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest.
For more variety, make chocolate ganache for the top, and fill it with pastry cream for a Boston Cream PIe.
For a Victorian Sponge, split, and fill it with whipped cream and preserves, your favorite flavor, ( raspberry, or blackberry it good! If desired, strain out the seeds)
For a simple cake, spoon a pastry cream (or vanilla pudding, soft), and fresh strawberries.
Layer slices of cake, fruit and pudding or whipped cream to make a simple trifle.