Old-Fashioned Jubilee Jumbles
These are from the 1957 Betty Crocker's Cooky Carnival recipe booklet. You could order it by mail when you purchased Gold Medal Flour. Their is not ONE bad recipe in this whole little booklet. This was a favorite growing up and is very versatile depending on what flavoring you might want to add. The cookies are very soft and moist, and you may frost them if you choose. I have included frosting recipe.
- 1/2 c
- vegetable shortening
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c
- large eggs
- 1 c
- sour cream
- 1 tsp
- vanilla or other flavoring of your choice
- 2 3/4 c
- sifted gold medal flour
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES
IN A MIXER BOWL CREAM THE FIRST 4 INGREDIENTS, ADDING EGGS SLOWLY
MIX NEXT TWO INGREDIENTS INTO CREAMED MIXTURE
SIFT LAST 3 INGREDIENTS IN A SEPARATE BOWL THEN ADD TO THE REST OF THE BATTER.
DO NOT OVER MIX !
1Chill dough if to soft. Drop by tablespoon or cookie scoop onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake just until, when touched lightly with finger, almost no imprint remains. Careful not to over bake.
53) Orange Cream Jumbles- Follow above EXCEPT add 1 TBS of fresh orange zest and 1 tsp. of orange extract or 1 TBS. of fresh orange juice instead of vanilla. This would work with any fruit flavor, just adjust accordingly. Lemon or lime would be amazing !!!!
64) Chocolate Cream Drops- Follow above EXCEPT stir into shortening mixture 2 squares (2 oz) melted unsweetened chocolate.
86) Fruit and Spice Drops- Follow original recipe EXCEPT sift with dry ingredients 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. cloves, and 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg. Mix into the dough 1 cup of cut of dates or raisins and 1 cup of chopped nuts. You may omit what you don't like and add what you do !
10Blend together 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla or flavoring of your choice, and add enough milk (approx. 1 TBS.) until right spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired.
11****Lillian***** You can add more orange zest and either orange extract or juice to the frosting. But if you use fresh juice make sure and add it before the milk so you will know how much milk you need to add. If the frosting gets to thin, just add some more powdered sugar. Hope you enjoy this, it is sooo good. You could also do this with lemon or lime the same way.