Coconut Fudge Brownies
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds
- 4 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup (175 ml) heavy creamtsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter, softened
- 1 cup (225 ml) toasted coconut.
1Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
2Spread walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees (175 C.).
3Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Coarsely chop chocolate. On a sheet of waxed paper, combine flour and baking powder.
4In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. On low speed, add eggs, cocoa and vanilla; beat until blended.
5Add flour mixture; mix to combine. Stir nuts and chopped chocolate into batter. Spread batter in prepared pan; smooth top.
6Bake brownies until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
7In a small saucepan, combine cream and brown sugar. Bring to boil and cook until mixture registers 242 degrees (125 C.) on a candy thermometer.
8Remove from heat; cool completely. Whisk in butter until fluffy. Spread topping over brownies. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.