Pecan Pie Balls
I made these for Thanksgiving and several holiday parties. They were a huge hit with all. Especially, for my healthy "portion controlled" friends! They liked the fact that they could have one pie ball instead of being served one slice of pie and only eating a small portion of it.
A lot of people have asked about a non-alcoholic version: try almond extract if you do not like the taste of alcohol. You can also use a rum non-alcohol flavoring. Add a little water to equal liquid amount. Vanilla wafers can be subbed for graham crackers.
- 2 1/2 c
- pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1 c
- graham crackers, crushed (vanilla wafers, Oreos can be subbed if you do not like graham crackers)
- 1 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 tsp
- salt (if you can not handle the sodium, don't use it!)
- 2 Tbsp
- maple syrup
- 1/4 c
- bourbon, brandy or spiced rum. non alcoholic version: use almond extract, rum extract, or any other that may suit your taste. add a little water/juice to equal the liquid amount.
- 1 tsp
- 7 oz
- dark chocolate bark. If you prefer white chocolate...go for it!
- 1 tsp
- coarse sea salt (optional)
Tip: After all balls are made, roll balls again with slightly water damped hands. This will make balls smooth before dipping in chocolate.