ITALIAN RUM CREAM CAKE by Freda
I actually went back and bought a 2nd cake.
( My Hips really needed that 2nd cake ya know)
Photo is from the bakery.
I have since searched and Searched but could not Find a recipe for this Special Cake. Until I found a site from Italy. They say this is one of their Special celebration cakes, used for festivites, and celebrations.
To Decorate this cake, Top with Whipped Cream piped Rosettes around the top, then Put a lot of Sliced almonds all around the Sides of this cake. It is not an overly sweet cake, with just a hint of Rum to the flavor of the cake. . . Words cannot express how Delicious this cake really is.
It is so Attractive and So flavorful, Guaranteed You won't be able to eat just one Slice.
It Must be kept in the Refer, Due to the Whipped Cream.
This is a lot of Instructions but Don't be Intimidated.
Just time consuming.
Its more than well worth the effort. Believe me You'll make it over again.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- egg yolks, reserve whites
- egg whites
- 1 1/2 C
- 1 1/4 C
- cake flour sifted
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 C
- rum or 1 tbs rum flavoring
- 1/3 C
- 1/2 C
- 3 Tbs
- egg yolks
- 3 Tbs
- flour (all purpose is fine to use)
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 Cups
- whole milk ( for richness)
- 1 Tbs
- 2 C
- heavy cream
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp
- light corn syrup
- 2 CUPS
- sliced almonds or more to cover sides of the entire cake
ITALIAN SPONGE CAKE
ITALIAN PASTRY CREAM ( CAKE FILLING) (PASTICCIERA CREAM)
WHIPPED CREAM CORN SYRUP METHOD.
Preheat Oven @ 375 Butter and Flour (2) 8-9" cake pans, set aside.
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar in bowl till Lemon colored.
2. Add Flour Sifted, little at a time, Blend well.
3. Add Vanilla
4. Beat Egg Whites till stiff but not dry, Fold into batter.
5. Pour batter into Prepared Pans.
6. Bake 40 min. or til toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. remove from oven, invert cake out of the pans, onto rack to cool completely.
8. Note: Cake Can be Tightly wrapped and refrigerated over night or frozen up to 3 weeks.
Mix together ingredients in small pot, Bring to boil, stirring til sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat. Cool before using.
When Cool, Brush genouously over cake.
If you prefer, Brush cake with 1/3 Cup Rum diluted with 1/4 Cup water.
1. Mix Sugar, egg, flour & Vanilla in a saucepan.
2. in seperate Pan, Scald Milk.
3. "Very Slowly pour milk over egg yolks" in a thin stream as to not Cook the eggs. Beating constantly with mixer.
4. Cooking over low heat, stir with wooden spoon, until mixture reaches boiling point. Cook for 4 min longer, must stir constantly.
5. Remove pan from heat, add butter, and stirr well.
Pour into Bowl Cover and Chill . Stir occasionally to prevent film from forming on top of custard cream.
6. chill 3-4 hrs til very thick for use as filling.
1. in a large Chilled Bowl. Put bowl in freezer to chill. chill beaters also.
2.Beat cold Cream until it just starts to thicken.
3. add Corn syrup, & vanilla down the Sides of the cold Bowl.
4. Beat to stiff peaks form.
1. Slice Cake in 1/2 to form two layers.
2. Slice the two layers in 1/2 again making 4 thin layers.
3. Place bottom layer on plate cut side up brush with rum syrup becarful not to get cake too wet, or the layers will be soggy.. allow to soak in for about 5 min.
4. Brush rum on the remaining layers on cut side up evenly with the rum. do not saturate the layers. You only want to flavor the cakes by brushing the rum on the cakes. (Do Not Saturate the layers)
5.Top bottom layer with the vanilla pastry cream, filling.
6. then another layer of rum brushed sponge cake.
7. Next a layer of the Whipped Cream
8. top with another layer of the Sponge layer cake
9. another layer of the pastry cream
10. last layer of the sponge cake
11. top entire cake & sides with whip Cream. reserving Enough whipped cream for making Roseettes on top of the cake.
12 final step cover entire sides of the cake with the Sliced almonds.