ITALIAN RUM CREAM CAKE by Freda
By FREDA GABLE cookin4me
This cake I first tasted in a speciality Bakery, It is to Die For.
I actually went back and bought a 2nd cake.
( My Hips really needed that 2nd cake ya know)
Photo is from the bakery.
I have since searched and Searched but could not Find a recipe for this Special Cake. Until I found a site from Italy. They say this is one of their Special celebration cakes, used for festivites, and celebrations.
To Decorate this cake, Top with Whipped Cream piped Rosettes around the top, then Put a lot of Sliced almonds all around the Sides of this cake. It is not an overly sweet cake, with just a hint of Rum to the flavor of the cake. . . Words cannot express how Delicious this cake really is.
It is so Attractive and So flavorful, Guaranteed You won't be able to eat just one Slice.
It Must be kept in the Refer, Due to the Whipped Cream.
This is a lot of Instructions but Don't be Intimidated.
Just time consuming.
Its more than well worth the effort. Believe me You'll make it over again.
Janet got "Chocolate Covered Cherry Mice"
You observe situations before diving in, choosing words and actions wisely. You're the loyal friend and...TAKE THE QUIZ and find out what Halloween treat you are!
Preheat Oven @ 375 Butter and Flour (2) 8-9" cake pans, set aside.
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar in bowl till Lemon colored.
2. Add Flour Sifted, little at a time, Blend well.
3. Add Vanilla
4. Beat Egg Whites till stiff but not dry, Fold into batter.
5. Pour batter into Prepared Pans.
6. Bake 40 min. or til toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. remove from oven, invert cake out of the pans, onto rack to cool completely.
8. Note: Cake Can be Tightly wrapped and refrigerated over night or frozen up to 3 weeks.
Mix together ingredients in small pot, Bring to boil, stirring til sugar dissolves.
Remove from heat. Cool before using.
When Cool, Brush genouously over cake.
If you prefer, Brush cake with 1/3 Cup Rum diluted with 1/4 Cup water.
1. Mix Sugar, egg, flour & Vanilla in a saucepan.
2. in seperate Pan, Scald Milk.
3. "Very Slowly pour milk over egg yolks" in a thin stream as to not Cook the eggs. Beating constantly with mixer.
4. Cooking over low heat, stir with wooden spoon, until mixture reaches boiling point. Cook for 4 min longer, must stir constantly.
5. Remove pan from heat, add butter, and stirr well.
Pour into Bowl Cover and Chill . Stir occasionally to prevent film from forming on top of custard cream.
6. chill 3-4 hrs til very thick for use as filling.
1. in a large Chilled Bowl. Put bowl in freezer to chill. chill beaters also.
2.Beat cold Cream until it just starts to thicken.
3. add Corn syrup, & vanilla down the Sides of the cold Bowl.
4. Beat to stiff peaks form.
1. Slice Cake in 1/2 to form two layers.
2. Slice the two layers in 1/2 again making 4 thin layers.
3. Place bottom layer on plate cut side up brush with rum syrup becarful not to get cake too wet, or the layers will be soggy.. allow to soak in for about 5 min.
4. Brush rum on the remaining layers on cut side up evenly with the rum. do not saturate the layers. You only want to flavor the cakes by brushing the rum on the cakes. (Do Not Saturate the layers)
5.Top bottom layer with the vanilla pastry cream, filling.
6. then another layer of rum brushed sponge cake.
7. Next a layer of the Whipped Cream
8. top with another layer of the Sponge layer cake
9. another layer of the pastry cream
10. last layer of the sponge cake
11. top entire cake & sides with whip Cream. reserving Enough whipped cream for making Roseettes on top of the cake.
12 final step cover entire sides of the cake with the Sliced almonds.
About this Recipe
Karla Everett Karla59 - Aug 2, 2011
Ok Freda , I told my self that I wasn't gonna save anymore cake recipes because I have saved so many now BUT this cake looks and sounds so delicious that I just has to save it LOL :-)
FREDA GABLE cookin4me - Aug 2, 2011
Karla, I am not Kidding one Bit, I did, I went and ate this Cake and then, I had to go back and get another, I literally Craved this Cake.
I don't like Cake Frosting usually, Just too sweet.
I am always looking for Whipped Cream frosting Cakes.
This cake Is Unbelieveably tasty.
and Totally worth the effort.
I even had people in the Bakery buying this cake when Undecided what they wanted for a birthday cake. They should have given me a discount, for the added sales, I made for them. Nope, No such luck!!
its a "Sin" to even Post this.
FREDA GABLE cookin4me - Aug 2, 2011
Annamaria Settanni McDonald ArtByASM - Aug 2, 2011
Hello! This sounds yummy! My family always uses Rum liquor and soaks it, sometimes my Aunt puts too much and you get tipsy just from the cake! LOL! This is a beautiful picture!