Apple/Strawberry Heaven Crumble
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- melted butter or spray to grease pan
- 3/4 c
- plus 2 tbsp butter softened
- 3/4 c
- caster sugar (or confectioners sugar)
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- eggs at room temperature
- 1 c
- self rising flour (or 1c flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt)
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 can(s)
- lg granny smith apple, cored, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 c
- strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 1/2 c
- 2-3 Tbsp
- butter, chilled and cut in cubes
- 1/4 c
- packed brown sugar
2. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Use a large spoon to fold in the combined flour and the milk until well combined.
3. Spoon into the prepared pan. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface. Arrange the apple and strawberry on top. No need to force the fruit into the batter.
4. To make the crumble topping, place the flour and butter in a bowl. Use your fingertips or hand held pastry blender to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add in the sugar.
5. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the apple and strawberry. Bake in oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring entire spring form pan to a wire rack to cool slightly. Release the spring form sides and transfer to platter, or serve from the bottom of the spring form pan before serving. Serve cake warm or at room temperature. I have also had this cold as a "coffee cake" for breakfast and is wonderful.
You can make this recipe up to 1 day ahead if serving whole for guests. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Bring to room temperature to serve. To reheat individual slices, place on a microwave-safe plate and heat in microwave on Medium for 1 minute or until warm.
This may also be frozen after cooling completely. Wrap in cling wrap and place in large freezer bag. This would need to be cut in 1/2 or 1/4 sections. Let thaw out in fridge or counter. Would not recommend to "food save" this product to store or freeze.
Total Fat 3.1g
Saturated Fat 1.54g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
Dietary Fiber 1.65g