Winner of the Rise 'n' Shine Challenge! Contest
Bacon and Green Onion Breakfast Tart
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- butter, for greasing the pan
- flour, for dusting the pan
- unroll-and-bake refrigerated 9-inch pie crust
- egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 oz
- thick bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- ( 4 oz) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 c
- shredded gruyere cheese
- green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- if you can not find marscarpone cheese at the store here is an easy sub
- 4 oz
- cream cheese room temp ( do not use light or fat free)
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream ( do not use light or fat free)
- 2 Tbsp
- heavy whipping cream
MASCARPONE CHEESE SUBSTITUTE
1You can use a 9 in tart pan with a removable base or a 9 in Spring Foam pan.
2Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan.
3Unroll the pie crust and arrange it in the prepared pan. Gently press the crust into the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim any excess crust from the top of the pan. With the tines of a fork, prick the pastry in several places. Using a pastry brush, coat the crust with the beaten egg white. Put the pan on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven until the egg white has set, about 10 minutes. Allow the crust to cool for 10 minutes.
4In a medium skillet, add the chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently over med-high heat, until brown and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
5In a medium bowl, combine the beaten eggs, mascarpone cheese, Gruyere, green onions, salt, pepper, and bacon. Mix until smooth. Pour the mixture into the cooled crust and bake until the mixture has set and the top is golden, about 18-20 minutes. Cool the tart for 8-10 minutes then remove it from the pan to a serving platter. Cut the tart into wedges and serve warm.
6*TIP: If you don't like the smoky taste of bacon, you can substitute it with pancetta.
Also if you like a little kick you can add half a chopped jalapeno pepper to the mix.