Flaky Chorizo Potato and Cheese Empanadas
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- russet potatoes, cubed
- onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- ground chorizo
- 1 1/2 c
- oaxaca or cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking oil for frying
- ranch dressing or your favorite dipping sauce (optional)
1In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add the 2 tbsp. of cooking oil and vodka
- Add water a little at a time and mix using your hands
- Knead. Dough should be firm but not dry. Adjust water amounts accordingly.
- Form into one large ball and cover. Let stand for 30 min.
- After thirty minutes, stretch out dough with a roller as thin as possible
2- Using a round cookie cutter or a cup, cut dough circles. The number of empanadas will depend on the size of you cup or cookie cutter.
- Pass roller over circles a couple of more times then place about 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp. of stuffing on one side of circle. Fold one side over mixture forming a crescent. Pinch edges to keep stuffing from escaping.
- Heat oil in pan. Once oil is hot, fry empanadas, turning them over every couple of minutes until both sides are golden brown.
In a pan, add chorizo and onion. Cook stirring until chorizo breaks apart. Add cubed potatoes and salt to taste. Cover and leave cooking until potatoes are soft. Uncover and cook for 5-10 more minutes until liquid evaporates. There shouldn’t be any oil on the bottom of the pan. If the mixture is too moist, the juices will escape the dough making it difficult t fry.
Before scooping mixture into empanadas, cube the cheese and add to mixture.