NAVAJO FRY BREAD
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (traditionally it was made with 4 cups of blue bird flour but you can use any flour you prefer), 1 tablespoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup warm water, 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. baking powder, 3/4 cup milk
- 4 cups flour, 1 tbsp. powdered milk, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 cups warm water, oil for frying
- 2 cups sifted flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1 egg, 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 cups flour, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt
Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Flatten each piece and roll into a 7-inch circle, making as thin as possible. Poke a hole in the center with the handle of a wooden spoon or your finger.
In a large saute pan or deep fryer, heat the 6 cups of oil to 360 degrees F. Slip the rounds 1 at a time into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, turning once with a long-handled spoon. Drain on paper towels and repeat with the remaining dough.
Sprinkle the fried bread with powdered sugar and drizzle with honey, as desired and serve.