Holiday Stuffing (Cranberry)
I just leave out the cranberries and use the same recipe. Everyone loves it, I add sausage to my regular stuffing. The kind you buy in the soft tube.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1 c
- 3 stick
- celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 3/4 c
- onion (finely chopped)
- 9 c
- soft bread crumbs ( i use large pkg. pepridge farms)
- 1/2 c
- dried or fresh cranberries ( could use golden raisins)
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves ( i omit as seasoning is in the pkg. of stuffing mix)
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh or dried thyme leaves (i omit this also)
- salt and pepper as desired
- i use chicken broth as well to soften my onions and celery just enough to cover them
1In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook celery and onion stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Then I put in my chicken broth to cover and let simmer awhile, til celery is soft. Add your cranberries as this point.
(When I make my stuffing without the cranberries, I also fry out my sausage crumbled with the onion and celery then add the chicken broth.)
2Place in large bowl. Add enough hot chicken broth to cover amount of stuffing used. Let sit for awhile til absorbed, if still dry add more water or broth and toss to mix in the celery and onion thoughout.
3I put half in the turkey or chicken and the other half in a greased casserole dish to heat up the last half hour before the turkey or chicken is done. Cover the dish with a glass cover or aluminum foil to keep from drying out.
This is also the way my mom used to make it, but before they came out with pepridge farm bagged bread crumbs , yes she would use soft bread cubed.