HERE A BAGEL, THERE A BAGEL (SALLYE)
CAUTION: Do not begin making these when you are rushed for time.
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast (2-1/4 ounces)
- 1-1/2 c
- warm water (110ºf)
- 3 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 5-1/2 c
- unbleached white flour
- 1 gal
- 1 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 1 large
- egg yolk, whisked with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 c
- toppings ***
- handful of cornmeal
Poppy seeds, toasted onion flakes, caraway seeds, celery seeds, coarse salt, granulated garlic, parmesan cheese or your choice of other ingredients.
Add 1 cup blueberries to dough during initial mixing
Add 1 cup raisins and 1=2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon to dough during initial mixing.
1. Pour warm water in large mixing bowl, add yeast and stir to dissolve
2. Let stand for 5-10 minutes or until foamy
3. Stir in the salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar
4. Add the flour one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. After the third cup, you will need to use you hand as dough will be too stiff for the beaters.
5.The dough should be stiff, but still malleable
6. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured board and knead for 10-15 minutes
7. Place the kneaded dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap.
8. Allow to rise in a warm location for 30 minutes or until doubled in size
9. Turn dough back out onto floured board and punch down.
10. Divide dough equally into approximately 12 pieces; shape each piece into a round and place them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
11. Cover with cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel; allow to rest for 10 minutes.
1. Work with only one round at a time; keep the other rounds covered
2. Holding the round in both hands, poke your thumbs through the center.
3. With one thumb in the hole, work the dough around, gently stretching, pulling and smoothing until the circle of the dough is 3 to 3-1/2" in diameter.
4. Place on a lightly floured board and cover with a kitchen towel.
5. Repeat until all rounds have been worked and formed.
6. Allow bagels to rise for about 20 minutes or until puffed up.
7. Preheat oven to 400ºF
1. While bagels are resting, place the gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a large stockpot; bring to a boil; then reduce the heat to a simmer until needed.
2. When bagels are risen (puffed), slip 3 or 4 at a time into the water. NOTE: They will sink at first, then rise to the top.
3. Simmer for 5 minutes, turning at least twice
4. Remove bagels with slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels,
5. Transfer them to a cornmeal dusted baking sheet
6. Repeat with remaining bagels until all have been boiled.
6. Brush the top of each with the yolk-water mixture glaze and sprinkle with your choice of toppings (or just leave them plain)
7. Bake in preheated 400º oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and crusty
8. Remove to cooling racks.
1. Get in car
2. Drive to Einstein's Bagel Shop
3. Pick out bagels of your choice
4. Drive home and enjoy.