Fried Corn Bread (AKA Hoe Cakes)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 1/2 c
- self-rising flour
- 1/2 c
- self-rising corn meal (not mix)
- 1 to 2 tsp
- 1 large
- egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- oil or melted bacon grease
- 1/2 to 3/4 c
- buttermilk (you may also use sweet milk)
- oil for frying
- a good-sized handfull of self-rsing flour and cornmeal
- just enough sugar to taste like the sweet of the corn, but not to sweeten the bread
- beat you up an egg
- just a little bit of grease
- a good teacup full of buttermilk
HERE'S THE WAY THAT MY GRANNY TOLD ME...
1Mix together flour, corn meal, and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add egg, oil and buttermilk. Mix with fork until all ingredients are moistened. Batter should be the consistency of pancake batter, so you may need to add a little more milk.
2Heat oil in heavy skillet (I use cast iron). When oil is hot, add a little less than 1/4 cup of batter to the hot oil. Fry on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes. When golden brown, turn and cook other side until golden. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Serve with butter, honey butter or whatever you like.