Soupe aux Pois (Canadian Pea Soup)
- 1 1/2 c
- dried yellow peas
- 6 c
- water, for soaking
- 1/4 lb
- salt pork (salted pork belly)
- 2 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 c
- diced carrots
- 1 c
- diced celery
- 6 c
- bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp
- dried savory (or 2 teaspoons fresh savory)
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
How to Make Soupe aux Pois (Canadian Pea Soup)
- 1Soak the peas in the water for about 4 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a bowl of cold water, soak the salt pork for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3In a large stock pot, brown the onions in the butter. Add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Add the water, drained peas, meat and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until the peas are tender.
- 5Remove and discard the bay leaves. Remove the meat from the fat of the salt pork, chop into small dice and return to the pot and cook until heated through.
- 6Add the savory, season with salt and pepper, and serve.