Soupe aux Pois (Canadian Pea Soup)
1 1/2 cdried yellow peas
6 cwater, for soaking
1/4 lbsalt pork (salted pork belly)
2 1/2 cchopped onion
1 cdiced carrots
1 cdiced celery
1/2 tspdried savory (or 2 teaspoons fresh savory)
·salt and pepper, for seasoning
How to Make Soupe aux Pois (Canadian Pea Soup)
- Soak the peas in the water for about 4 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl of cold water, soak the salt pork for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, brown the onions in the butter. Add the carrots and celery. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, drained peas, meat and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours or until the peas are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Remove the meat from the fat of the salt pork, chop into small dice and return to the pot and cook until heated through.
- Add the savory, season with salt and pepper, and serve.