- leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c
- thinly sliced celery
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- butter (or for low fat use olive oil)
- 4 c
- sliced, peeled potatoes
- 2 c
- chicken broth ( ok to use fat free or vegetarian broth)
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 c
- shredded carrots (about 5 large carrots)
- 1 1/2 c
- light cream (low fat ok)
- 1 c
- milk (low fat ok)
- garnish with chopped chives or carrot curls
How to Make Carrot Vichyssoise
- 1For low fat, heart healthy, use low fat ingredients as shown above.
- 2In a large saucepan cook leeks, onion, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Add potatoes, broth, and salt. Cook 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile place carrots in 3/4 cup boiling, salted water. Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes. Drain.
- 3Place leek mixture in blender and puree. You may need to process in a couple of batches depending on the size of your blender. Return to pan. Mix in cream, milk, and drained carrots. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Chill. (Soup can be kept in refrigerator in closed containers for several days.) Serve cold.
Garnish with chopped chives or carrot curls, if desired.